- 1 kg (2.2 lb) chuck steak
- 125 g (4½ oz) bacon
- 12 small onions
- 60 g (2 oz) butter
- 500 g (1.1 lb) carrots
- FreshIy prepared
- bouquet garni:
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sticks of celery
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp tomato concentrate
- 1 l (1¾ pt) good red wine
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt / pepper
- Ask your butcher to cut the meat into egg-sized cubes.
- Remember to take the meat out of the fridge at least 11/2 hrs before use. Remove the rind and dice the bacon.
- Peel the onions but leave them whole.
- Melt the butter in a cocotte, then add the onions and the bacon and let them brown for 2 to 3 min., stirring regularly with a wooden spoon. Season the meat with salt and ground
- pepper, then add to the french oven and brown on each side.
- Whilst the meat is browning, peel the carrots, rinse them quickly under running water and cut them into 5-cm (2”) strips before adding them to the french oven.
- Carefully wash the parsley and the celery. Remove the stringy parts of the celery and then tie together the thyme, the bay leaf, the parsley and the celery to make your bouquet garni. Add to the french oven.
- Brown all the ingredients for approx. 30 min., then remove the meat, putting it aside in a warm place.
- Add the flour to the cocotte and stir well with a wooden spoon. As soon as it changes color, add the tomato concentrate and stir again. Add the red wine little by little, thinning down the sauce as it thickens and stirring all the time. Season using a pepper mill. Add the two cloves of garlic after having peeled and crushed them. Continue stirring with the wooden spoon.
- Once you have obtained a smooth sauce, return the meat to the cocotte, cover and leave to simmer for approx. 2 1/2 hrs over low heat.
- 15 min before the end of cooking, heat the plates in the oven, and possibly a serving dish if you prefer not to take the cocotte to the table.
* Alcohol abuse puts your health at risk. Drink with moderation.